Thursday 3 January 2019

Resources for Conflict in Norway

Although I was quite taken with the idea of gaming a modern conflict in Norway, my knowledge of the period was sketchy to say the least. However, thanks to the wonders of the WWW, I was able to quickly start boning up on the forces Norway and her NATO allies would have put in the way of the Red hordes. In the process I came across some really helpful resources.

First off, was a book called 'Red Star, White Lights' by Jason Weiser. It is available as a PDF download at WargameVault and is a pack of 11 scenarios set in Norway, Sweden and Finland against the Russians during the Cold War - perfect! 



The scenarios themselves will be very familiar to anyone who has played Ambush Alley/Force on Force, but are easily adaptable to alternative rulesets (of which more in a moment). They cover conventional main-force clashes, raids on LoC troops, beach landings and SOF operations, as well as ones including Norwegian Home Guard defenders, which I am very keen to try out. 

It also includes some suggestions for special rules to reflect the particular challenges presented by the harsh Arctic environment and sample platoon ORBATS for the armies most likely to find themselves slugging it out in the snow - British, Norwegians, Soviets, but also Finns and Swedes. For someone like me just starting out in this 'period', this is absolutely invaluable information.  Finally, there are suggestions for relevant miniature ranges in 15 & 20mm, and a bibliography for further reading. Thoroughly recommended.

I also came across two excellent blogs. Cold War Gamer has masses of info on the Cold War period, covering ORBATs. modelling, tactics, reviews and more, all nicely illustrated with plenty of eye candy! Cold War Hot Hot Hot is a bit more focused on the models but as a super added bonus Richard has come up with a Cold War version of the Battlegroup WW2 rules by Ironfist. I am a big fan of these rules and so finding this Cold War version was just fantastic. The Cold War version sticks closely to the core BG mechanics and I am looking forward to using them once I have enough troops painted up. Richard has several AARs posted on his blog to illustrate the rules in action. In addition, he has done a host of Army Lists to go with the rules, including Norwegian, Royal Marines and Soviet Arctic Infantry; basically, all the information I could possibly want! These two sites are essential visits if you are at all into Cold War gaming and I am finding them both invaluable as I start out and massively interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord of the Rings Battle Companies Game - Secure the Area

Since the end of the Painting Challenge, I have had very limited hobby time but summer holidays meant I could get a game in of the new versi...