Saturday 4 May 2019

Final Entries for the Painting Challenge IX - Part I

The AHPC is obviously now over, but I didn't update the blog with these final entries, so here they are.

My seventh entry was a some WW2 German stuff in 20mm, which got me another Squirrel point as well.

These are some 20mm AB Germans - absolutely gorgeous miniatures! These were painted wearing SS camo, mostly the Autumn Oakleaf pattern, with a few in the Spring version for variety. I had initially balked at the thought of doing these patterns but a guide in the Christmas 2015 Too Fat Lardies Special was incredibly useful, breaking it down into easily followed steps. First up, a PAK40.




Next we have a section NCO with MP40 and four infantry (the one armed with a captured Sten gun is by Battlefield/Blitz Miniatures), plus the three man LMG team. As they are mostly wearing the Autumn camo, I used some 'Autumn' clump foliage on their bases.




Lastly, a tripod MG42 team, this time painted as straight Wehrmacht. I have yet to find a recipe for German Field Grey that I really like; these are the ones that I am happiest with so far.



My eighth entry was a biggie - all the Russian armour from the previous two posts plus a King Tiger in 15mm and these Russian infantry, also in 15mm. The infantry are all Battlefront castings and are based for winter games. These are organised as per the Battlegroup rules - 4x8-man squads. I tried to differentiate between the squads by using different basing - some use old GW snow flock and others the more recent GW textured paint. The latter looks much better and so the flock is being retired. I also painted one squad in lighter greatcoats, partly to differentiate them and partly because, well, because erratic Soviet logistics.  

The infantry platoon of four 8-man sections.


8-man scout section, mostly armed with SMGs.


The HQ element - the flag is a bit of artistic licence, and gave me an opportunity to have a break from painting brown greatcoats!


Battlefront castings can be somewhat hit and miss, but generally these are pretty good.

Finally, the Zvezda 15mm Tiger II. I wanted this to feature in games set in a winter setting like the Bulge or Hungary at the start of 1945. I imagined that the crew had hastily over-painted the camo with some whitewash in an effort to camouflage the beast. So, once I painted on the camo I lightly sprayed it with white so that the camo just showed through in places. An AK wash brought out the detail, and then some GW Valhallan Blizzard was added to simulate snow clinging to the hull.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lord of the Rings Battle Companies Game - Secure the Area

Since the end of the Painting Challenge, I have had very limited hobby time but summer holidays meant I could get a game in of the new versi...